Cavity Facts from Affordable Dentistry Pros
Few people get through life without cavities. They affect more than 90 percent of the human population. You probably have a few fillings too, but how well do you understand this common dental affliction? Check out the myths and facts listed below to test your knowledge about how cavities develop and how they can be prevented and treated through good habits and professional dental care.
- Myth 1. You’ll definitely know if you have a cavity. Actually, early tooth decay has no noticeable symptoms. You won’t experience pain until the condition has advanced and caused damage to the tooth’s nerve.
- Myth 2. Children get more cavities than adults. Pediatric dental treatments and fluoridated water have greatly reduced the number of cavities seen in children in the last few decades. However, many adults develop cavities due to poor hygiene habits and medications that reduce saliva flow. Saliva is a natural cavity fighter because it washes bacteria out of the mouth as well as neutralizing acid and having inherent disinfectant properties. Affordable dentistry services are available to help adults manage cavities and keep their natural teeth.
- Myth 3. If your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold foods, you have a cavity. In reality, sensitivity can be caused by gum recession, enthusiastic brushing, or recent use of tooth-whitening products. Appropriate dental care can usually resolve sensitivity problems.
- Myth 4. Chewing on an aspirin tablet will relieve a toothache. Because aspirin is an acidic substance, placing it directly in contact with your gums can burn the tissues and cause an abscess. In order for an aspirin to relieve pain, you must actually swallow it. But you should never give a child aspirin because it has been linked to Reye’s syndrome.
- Myth 5. Root canals are always performed because of cavities. Root canal treatment is needed when damage occurs to the tooth root. The damage could be due to trauma or even nighttime tooth-grinding habits. Extraction may be a more affordable dentistry option, but it’s always best to save the affected tooth.
- Myth 6. Cavities in baby teeth don’t require treatment. Any pediatric dental professional will tell you that cavities in baby teeth can cause severe pain and suffering. Head to your child’s dental clinic as soon as you notice signs of decay in a primary tooth.
- Myth 7. Clenching your teeth causes cavities. In truth, it usually doesn’t lead to cavities if you visit your dental clinic to get treatment. In some cases, extended clenching can cause cracks or damage enamel; this makes teeth more vulnerable to decay.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Hudson Valley. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.