What is an orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics refers to the treatment of improper bites that could have been a result of tooth irregularity, disproportionate jaws, or even both. The goal of our orthodontists here at the Family Dental Group is to enhance your dental health and ultimately make you look good and feel good about yourself. Orthodontic treatments aim to provide you with a good bite which involves having straight teeth that perfectly matches your teeth on the opposite jaw to make it easier for you to bite, speak, and chew. Teeth that are crooked and do not fit correctly are harder to clean and can lead to various dental problems after some time. In our 4 offices in NYC, Fishkill, Brewster, and Jefferson Valley, we encourage our patients to make this valuable investment because this could be a good option in keeping your teeth for a lifetime.
What are my treatment options in orthodontics?
In our practice here at the Family Dental Group, we offer several orthodontic treatments, a fit for whatever our patients may need. Orthodontic treatments are classified into 2 major categories as listed below:
- Fixed Appliances
- Braces are the most common and consist of bands, wires or brackets. The bands or brackets are used as anchors for the appliance and arch wires are passed through them. Correction of the teeth is achieved by adjusting or tightening the arch wires to put tension on the teeth. The adjustments are usually done every month and the desired results can be achieved in a few months or years, depending on the severity of the patient’s condition.
- Fixed space maintainers is used in cases when a baby tooth is lost prematurely and there is a need to keep the space open in anticipation of the permanent tooth.
- Special fixed appliances are used to control thumb sucking or thrusting of the tongue. These are attached to the teeth with the use of bands and may be very uncomfortable during meals, that’s why this is often a last option in these conditions.
- Removable Appliances
- Aligners are alternatives to traditional braces and are available at the 4 branches of the Family Dental Group. Invisalign is the most popular aligner and are most preferred by our patients. These are custom made aligners that are made of comfortable and invisible plastic that you wear over your teeth.
- Jaw repositioning bumpers are designed to keep the lips and cheeks from the teeth if they exert any pressure on the teeth. These muscles can exert pressure on the teeth, and these bumpers aid in relieving that pressure.
- Removable space maintainers are devices that serve the same function as fixed space maintainers.
- Palatal expanders are devices that widen the arch of the upper jaw by using a plastic plate that fits over the roof of the mouth.
- Removable Retainers prevents the movement of teeth to their previous position and can also be used to prevent thumb sucking.
- Head gears are devices that slow down the growth of the upper jaw. This helps hold back the back teeth while at the same time pulling back the front teeth.