COVID-19 Safety Message: Visit our practice with confidence – your safety is our top concern.
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: January 30, 2014
The Link Between Smoking and Your Oral Health
You are most likely aware of the detrimental effects of smoking to one’s overall health — from cardiovascular problems to respiratory illnesses to low birth-weight babies for women who smoke while they’re pregnant. Yet are you aware that tobacco use could also result to a host of oral health problems? Here at our Hudson Valley dental practice, we have noticed the following problems among our patients who have been smoking for a while now:
- gum disease
- stained teeth and tongue
- dulled sense of taste and smell
- delayed healing following dental procedures such as extraction
- chronic bad breath
- oral cancer
Quick Tips to Quitting Tobacco Use
The best way to avoid oral health problems brought about by smoking, including its other ill effects to your health, is to make the decision to quit. Smokers would say that this is easier said than done as the nicotine in cigarettes are actually addicting. However, all it takes is commitment on your end and the strong desire to actually quit smoking.
1. First of all, commit to the idea that you are actually quitting smoking.
2. Have a plan.
3. Figure out what motivates you to actually quit. Is it for your health? Or the girl you’re currently dating doesn’t like smokers?
4. Seek out people with similar goals as yours. Join an online forum, ask your friends about it, etc. Furthermore, spend most of your time with people who supports your goal.
5. Keep yourself busy with work, school, or any other chores that will help you suppress the urge to smoke.
6. Figure out what triggers you to smoke and avoid these triggers as much as possible.
7. Replace your smoking habit with positive ones such as running, swimming, or reading a book.
8. Reward yourself!
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Hudson Valley, make an appointment.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Hudson Valley. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.