We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: October 30, 2013
Oral Health Concerns Specific for Seniors
Adults who are nearing their senior year may start experiencing several health problems, one of which has to do with their oral health — from dry mouth to gum problems to oral cancer. Here at our Hudson Valley dental practice, we have helped older adults keep their teeth in shape and maintain optimum oral health while they enjoy their golden years.
By and large, the following oral health concerns are specific to adults who are over 60 years:
- Dry mouth as an adverse effect of certain medications or medical conditions. Artificial saliva or mouth rinses may be prescribed. Increasing fluid intake may not always apply as there are certain diseases which calls for limiting fluids such as kidney troubles.
- Gum disease may be more prevalent as a senior’s immune system can’t fight off infection as easily during one’s younger years. Consistency in oral hygiene habits is greatly encouraged.
- Prolonged use of tobacco and alcohol are risk factors of oral cancer thus seniors should be advised to either quit or limit smoking and alcohol intake.
- Tooth loss may be common around this age so tooth replacement options like dental implants may be recommended.
- Limited mobility may be a problem for oral hygiene. We can recommend special tools to help make brushing and flossing easier.
Advances in oral health technology these days has made it easier for seniors to smile their way to their senior year!
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Hudson Valley, make an appointment.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Hudson Valley. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.