Your dental health is important, and our patients’ safety is our top priority. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern. We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and all CDC guidelines very closely.
Posted on: May 14, 2016
The Best Ways to Soothe and Save a Cracked Tooth
A cracked tooth can happen to anyone for any number of reasons. Learn more about this dental damage so you’re prepared if it happens to you.
Causes of a Cracked Tooth
A crack in a tooth can range from small to severe. A minor crack may only affect the tooth’s enamel, while a major crack will extend from the tip of a tooth to its root. And the pain may appear as a slight sensitivity, mild discomfort, or a throbbing ache. At the first sign of a possible problem, you need to seek affordable dental care to allow a Dentist in Hudson Valley to treat your dental distress. A cracked tooth is typically caused by one of the following:
- Biting down on a very hard food, candy, ice cube, or object
- Injury related to sports or daily activities
- Trauma to the face, mouth, or jaw
- Persistent tooth grinding.
- Lack of proper and regular oral hygiene
Four Different Degrees of Cracked Teeth
According to dental care experts, the extent of the crack will determine the best treatment for a cracked tooth. Cracked teeth are divided into the following categories:
- A Simple Cracked Tooth – These are very slight, small cracks. While these cracks are so minor that they may not require treatment, you still need to see a Dentist in Hudson Valley to examine your cracked tooth and possibly polish the crack away.
- A Serious Cracked Tooth – This type of fracture can extend from the outer enamel of the tooth to its inner tissue or roots. It can also loosen the tooth and make gums bleed.
- A Split Tooth – Even more severe than a serious crack, this occurs when the entire tooth splits vertically. It can damage the tooth so much that the cracked tooth may need to be extracted and replaced.
- A Split Root – This is the most severe kind of cracked tooth because it extends through the entire tooth and causes a slit in the roots. It causes great pain, swelling, and a high risk of infection.
The Top Treatment for a Cracked Tooth
Today, there are several affordable dental care treatments available for a cracked tooth. Yet, the only way to determine the right treatment for you is to be examined by a Dentist in Hudson Valley at the first sign of a problem. Depending on the extent of dental damage, one of these treatments will be right for you:
- Dental Bonding – Reserved for slight and simple cracks, this treatment uses a tooth-colored resin to restore or reshape the cracked tooth.
- Splint – Used for more serious cracks, this involves bonding the cracked tooth to an adjacent tooth to keep it in place while the tooth’s tissue and bone heal.
- A Root Canal – Required for more severe cracks and splits, this treatment removes the damaged tissue within the tooth, and then tops it with a filling or crown.
- Tooth Extraction – Only used for the most severe cracks and splits, this involves removing the tooth and replacing it with a dental implant.
Family Dental Group offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Hudson Valley. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Family Dental Group, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Family Dental Group.